Keep your immune system in tip-top condition. Find out how the ingredients in Manuka Plus High Strength Vitamin D can help:
Manuka honey (MGO 300)
This high-strength honey – made by bees collecting nectar from New Zealand Manuka bushes – contains the active ingredient methylglyoxal (MGO), which has an antimicrobial  and also anti-bacterial effect on the body, according to a 2018 study by Ulster University .
Our Manuka honey is harvested from Manuka Doctor hives high in the New Zealand mountains, and then freeze-dried into powder.
In England, the NHS recommends everybody take a vitamin D supplement daily to avoid deficiencies caused by a lack of sunlight. Especially those staying inside due to Coronavirus lockdowns and quarantines .
According to the European Commission , Vitamin D contributes to normal immune system function, and has been the subject of lots of newspaper headlines recently about its immune system benefits.
In addition, the NHS recommend that you take a daily supplement if you:
- Are not often outdoors – for example, if you're frail or housebound
- Are in an institution like a care home
- Usually wear clothes that cover up most of your skin when outdoors
- If you have dark skin
Is Vitamin D even more important at the current time?
Science is still ongoing into this area. But according to a study in the renowned scientific journal PLUS One, initial findings showed that more research is needed into the potential link to vitamin D supplementation in reducing the risk for SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus infection and COVID-19 disease .
How much vitamin D do I need?
Adult need a minimum of 10 micrograms of vitamin D a day. This includes pregnant and breastfeeding women, and people at risk of vitamin D deficiency.
A microgram is 1,000 times smaller than a milligram (mg). The word microgram is sometimes written with the Greek symbol μ followed by the letter g (μg).
Manuka Plus high strength Vitamin D contains 25 micrograms in each tablet, or 25ug, which is why it’s classed as high dose.
Maitake Mushroom powder
Although it has no authorised EU health claim, Maitake Mushroom powder is known to have a positive effect on overall immunity - which is why we have included it in our Vitamin D product. Maitake mushroom powder is also rich in:
Vitamins B and C
1. Alvarez-Suarez JM, et al. The Composition and Biological Activity of Honey: A Focus on Manuka Honey. Foods. 2014 Sep;3(3):420-432. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5302252/
2. Johnston M, et al. Antibacterial activity of Manuka honey and its components: An overview. AIMS Microbiology. 2018. 4(4):665-664. https://www.aimspress.com/fileOther/PDF/microbiology/microbiol-04-04-655.pdf
3. NHS Vitamin D advice - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/
4. Vitamin D EFSA - EU REGISTER OF NUTRITION AND HEALTH CLAIMS: https://ec.europa.eu/food/safety/labelling_nutrition/claims/register/public/