This coming Tuesday 1st March is Shrove Tuesday, commonly known as Pancake day.
Pancakes are traditionally eaten on the day before Lent begin, because a pancake is easy way to use up rich foods such as eggs, milk, and sugar, before the 40-day fasting period of Lent begins.
In recent times, Pancake Day has become the annual occasion to hone your frying, flipping and mixing skills to the max while creating a filling breakfast.
And honey is one of the traditional breakfast toppings for pancakes thanks to adding natural sweetness.
So how can you add a drizzle of Manuka honey to your Pancake Day?
Our favourite way is to combine the sweetness and texture of Manuka honey with some fresh berries on your morning pancake.
This recipe is easy to make and ready in under 30 minutes and includes our Manuka Doctor 100 MGO honey with lemon as a luxurious addition.
According to Marie Claire magazine, you should take between about 1 to 2 tablespoons of Manuka a day. The easiest way to do this is to eat a spoonful straight. However, drizzling it onto pancakes or porridge, or spreading it on toast is equally good.
Read more here on the Marie Claire website.
MANUKA DOCTOR'S POWER UP PANCAKE RECIPE
- 315ml semi skimmed milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 250g plain flour
- 1 large egg
- 40g sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- Manuka honey (100 MGO with Lemon)
- 45g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- A few drops vanilla extract (optional)
- Sunflower oil to fry
1. Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to stir together
2. Put the milk, egg and vanilla extract in a measuring cup and lightly whisk together
3. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until fairly smooth
4. Add the melted butter and mix in. Leave to stand for 15 minutes
5. Wipe a little oil around the frying pan. Heat and ladle in the batter. Leave space between the pancakes so you can flip them
6. Cook over medium-high heat for a couple of minutes until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes. Flip and cook for a minute longer on the other side until golden. Repeat using all the batter adding a little more oil if needed
7. Serve with sliced strawberries and chopped nuts and liberally drizzle with two table spoons of Manuka Doctor 100 MGO with lemon honey to your preference.