George Lockhart is an American Nutritionist who is currently working with World Heavyweight Champion boxer Tyson Fury.
In this blog he explains how a Manuka honey sauce can be a perfect partner for chicken to create a protein-rich healthy dish with inspiration from his USA homeland.
“One of my tips when you’re following a healthy eating plan is preparation, and that doesn’t stop at what’s in your fridge.
How many times have you gone into a restaurant with good intentions, but because you’re hungry and you can smell and see the food you end up picking something that’s perhaps not idea for your diet plan?
Trust me this happens with pro athletes too! That’s why I always ask people to look at the menu well before we go and pick what they’re having in advance.
This way you can look forward to that healthy meal, visualise it, and most importantly, you won’t get railroaded by the burger when you eventually get there and order!
One of my favourite restaurants back home is called Chick Fil A. You guys don’t have this here in the UK, but as the name suggests it’s a chicken-based menu so it’s good for lean meat, good protein which will fill you up.
I’ve taken the famous Chick Fil A recipe and added a twist to create my own chicken and rice dish which has been a huge hit here in this Fight Camp with my boys Tyson Fury, Joseph Parker and Tommy Fury. These guys have got to eat well, but taste is just as important.
Here’s how I make this Camp Favourite.
GEORGE’S SECRET HONEY SAUCE
- Boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 cup good Olive Oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place your chicken breast on a cutting board. With your hand flat on top of it, carefully slice the chicken in half horizontally. Trim excess fat as needed.
- In a large shallow baking dish, combine your chicken with 1/2 cup of your milk; and leave it to marinate for at least 30 minutes before draining it.
- Next heat your Olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- In another large shallow baking dish, whisk together remaining 1 cup milk and your egg. Stir in the chicken to coat and drain excess milk mixture.
- Working in batches, add chicken to the skillet and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain off any excess oil.
- Start with four large tablespoons of a good quality Greek Yoghurt
- Next mix in a tablespoon of Manuka Doctor honey – any grade will work but I am using the 220 MGO strength Monofloral jar right now.
- Add a little mustard – I use regular yellow mustard
- Add a little BBQ sauce - any will do, but personally I like Kansas sweet
- Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon
- Add a little salt to finish it off
I prefer to serve this on a bed of rice, lay the chicken on the top then pour over the sauce. It taste like a dream and looks pretty good too. But this dish is really all about the special sauce.
If you get the chance to visit a Chick Fil A anytime you’re in the States, then remember I told you about this one!
You can view George Lockhart’s Manuka Doctor collection here